“I have a dream…” was the beginning of one of the most powerful speeches of all times that transformed the quality of life for hundreds of thousands of Americans.
And we can have this kind of impact in our own community and wipe out generational poverty in Skagit County. We can leverage local talent and resources, coordinate services, encourage collaborative efforts and leave a powerful legacy.
We can find a way to ensure that every child in Skagit County has adequate nutrition to thrive physically and mentally, three meals a day, 1,095 meals a year. We can ensure that each child has a safe place to live and adequate healthcare, while their parents have the support to succeed in the workplace, as their children in turn have the security and guidance necessary for a solid education that will empower them to reach their dreams and achieve financial stability for their families. But to do so, we will need a collective will, vision, commitment and shift in perspective. Instead of seeing only our scarcity of resources, we will need to embrace the abundance we have – right here at home–and discover all of the possibilities for the future.
• A common understanding of the root cause of generational poverty in Skagit County.
• Form a common vision of local solutions to these root causes and identify priorities.
• Inventory the local resources, skills and talents we already have.
• Align and coordinate resources and services, and explore ways to connect those efforts (intranet).
• Create a foundational blueprint of what it will take, including funding, to implement a sustainable plan.
• Implement and take action!
Our community will never reach its potential until every one of us joins together in one voice.
Deb Davis Bundy